Skip to main content

Sound Design

It was difficult this week to find time to work on the term project when there were also other more heavily weighted assignments due and a midterm to study for. I hope that I will have a bit more time after this week.

For the Living Room, we can use a looped ambient living room soundtrack I found for now because there are considerably fewer sounds expected for this environment. To accomplish this, an entity will need to be created for the purpose of sound source. This will likely be placed on the ceiling plane to have a consistent sound throughout the entire space. Additionally, some sound effects should be linked to when collisions occur between different materials.

Resources for playing sound effects on collision:



For the Warehouse, I will still need to make a looping soundtrack using the sound effects I found. I aim to make it around 60 seconds long so that it is not too repetitive. I am composing the overall sound in Audacity, but will be exporting some tracks separately as they will have sound sources emitting the sounds from different locations in the Warehouse environment while playing simultaneously. This should give a better effect in the 3D space. Evidently, some of this work will need to be coded within the A-Frame project.

A screenshot of my working file (~5hrs, some sounds needed to be cleaned up) can be seen below:



It can be listened to here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1o6L1WN8DI0r3sERVWzcCYiaby49b0-8M/view

In the near future, I will be helping Maxime with making a mood board for the environments and developing a colour scheme rather than just having random colours. As can be seen in the Design Comps, some improvements can be made in terms of colour and texture choices to improve cohesiveness and environmental aesthetics.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sprint 5 - Finishing the Furniture

This week, I completed modelling (4hrs) and texturing (7hrs) the furniture that will be used in the scene. It took longer than I expected because I had difficulty nailing down an art style while also working with new techniques in Substance Painter that I wasn't familiar with. A big challenge was finding a style that I really liked and understanding how to achieve that. My experience is more in realistic modelling and texturing where it's easy to see where things don't look right. However, with stylized pieces, it's up to my own interpretation. I'm also working with a very base, low-resolution mesh because I want to avoid creating too much detail through normal or height maps. The simpler, the better, but, the simpler, the less there is to work with. The grand solution in nailing down a flexible art style was through the use of ambient occlusion. By baking the same model over itself, I get an AO map, which already improves the look dramatically as it removes ...

Building the Shelf and Chairs

With the final submission looming closer, most of my effort was directed at replacing some hard-coded game-play functionality with dynamic data from the Builder and Finder systems (~3 hours), assisting my team with issues they encountered (~2-3 hours), and getting the shelf and chair ready to be built by the players (~8 hours). The Builder and Finder systems still had a few hard-coded values from the Beta build of the project that were specific to constructing the table, so I worked on replacing those with the data that is contained in the instructions arrays that Priscilla and Maxime created this week.  I was initially have problems accessing this array before I discovered that JavaScript arrays can be accessed by string, which simplified it a lot.  Below is an example of the before and after of this process. // Before socket . on ( 'setFurn' , function ( data ) { this . current = data . id ; // Where data.id was always "table" this . step = ...

[WEEK 3] Illustrations and Alpha Prototype

This week, we need to complete the user interaction specification document, which contains many graphical components that need to be created. This includes the storyboard/wireframes, design compositions, and the architectural flow of our game. Additionally, the Alpha prototype is due next Friday! This is a huge priority and at this point, we will be relying on Mitchell to work on coding majority of the functional elements. Primitive environments have been prepared by Maxime, but they need to be tested in a VR environment (i.e. for scale). Priscilla will be putting together all the parts of the proposal document and supporting both Mitchell and Maxime with their tasks.